*Attention College Students*
GPS Dairy Consulting, LLC is officially accepting applications for our 2022 summer internship which is tailored to a highly motivated individual interested in a broad dairy industry experience. This opportunity provides the ability to work with leaders from both RP Nutrients & GPS Dairy Consulting, LLC to grow their professional network and increase their skill set towards their future career endeavors.
"I gained invaluable research, farm, and networking experiences with GPS. From my visits to farms across the upper Midwest and completing a research project, I experienced the bridge between industry and research to understand not only how but why research is important to advance dairy farm success. This internship challenged me to expand my communication skills, develop a greater awareness of essential farm management practices, and prepare for a career in dairy nutrition."
- Julie Opgenorth Michigan State University, Master's Student, Dairy Nutrition
The intern will:
- Gain experience on both progressive dairy farms and on a research dairy farm.
- Gain on-farm independent consulting insights through ride along with GPS consultants.
- Have the opportunity to attend agricultural industry events to grow their network
- Have involvement in a nutrition-related research project
- Expand their soft business skills
Responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Sample and data collection on farm
- Data entry and analysis
- Daily farm tasks as assigned by farm and research managers
- Assisting with on-farm consultant calls and farm walk-throughs
- Analysis of feedstuffs and feed software / ration balance integration
Skills and experience required (but not limited to):
- Must be trustworthy and able to work independently
- Ability to follow written and verbal instructions
- Experience working with livestock
- Ability to work on multiple projects during the summer
- Ability to work with others in group settings
- Ability and willingness to commute throughout the upper Midwest
- 40 hours per week, with some week-to-week variability
- Weekend work hours may be required on certain occasions, dependent on project
“Interning with GPS was a very rewarding and educational experience. Through a variety of ride-alongs and assisting on a research project, I was able to expand my knowledge in dairy nutrition and the world of dairy consulting. I was able to grow professionally by attending industry conferences and assisting in the GPS Feeder Schools. Working with this incredible team of consultants was an amazing opportunity and will continue to have a positive impact on my graduate studies and future career.“
- Malia Martin, UW-Madison, Master’s Student, Dairy Nutrition