June Dairy Month
If you didn’t know, June is “Dairy Month” and a time for producers and industry members to put extra emphasis on dairy and all the #dairygood it brings to the world!
National Dairy Month started as National Milk Month in 1937 as a way to promote drinking milk. It was first created to stabilize the dairy demand when production was at a surplus but has since developed into an annual tradition that celebrates the contributions the dairy industry has made to the world. After the National Dairy Council stepped in to promote the cause, the name soon changed to “Dairy Month.”
This month, I challenge you to share some dairy love. Whether you have a personal social media page or a business page, join in the celebration of dairy in some way. Here are a few ideas to get your gears going:
- Snap a pick of your farm/a cow and share that it is June Dairy Month – not everyone you know is aware this month is special!
- Toast with a glass of milk.
- Share a fact! For example, did you know ninety-eight percent of dairy farms are family-owned and operated?
- Share why you love real milk. Most milk alternative drinks have only half the nutrients of real milk and cost nearly twice as much.
- Have a favorite recipe that includes dairy? Share it!
- Tell the world a little about the history of your farm. What generation are you? Who started the farm and how has it changed/grown? What goals to do you have for the future?
- Want to put even more effort in? Think about recording a video on your phone, going “Live” on Facebook/Instagram/TikTok or work with your local checkoff to get ideas about hosting on-farm events/tours.
An easy theme for this month is sharing how milk does the body good. Milk is highly nutritious and packs in 13 essential nutrients in every serving, including protein, zinc, selenium, vitamin A and vitamin D, which contribute to healthy immune function. And dairy foods like cheese and yogurt also provide high-quality protein, calcium, vitamin A, B vitamins and more. And don’t forget – YOU help supply this nutritious powerhouse to the world.
Looking for additional resources to build your presence this month and amplify your voice? These links can help you share the story of dairy AND your story with those in your life (pro tip: you can share these as links on your social, too!):
- Why Do We Drink Cow’s Milk?
- Do You Know… Is Milk Nutritious?
- This Nutritionist Gives Dairy Cows A Healthy Diet
- Ask the Nutrition Expert: Do We Really Need Three Daily Servings of Dairy?
- Can Dairy Be Sustainable? Yes, And Here’s Why
- Bring Consumers to Your Farm in a Virtual Way
- Fun Facts about Cows
- How To Win An Argument About How You Farm On Social Media